Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Dapper and Affordable















Great thrift store finds aren't too much of a challenge. My best find in this look: Definitely the Izod dog print pants! I found these brand new, $6 at Ross Dress For Less (originally $70).

Blazer, $9 (Goodwill)
Shirt by Izod, $12 (Ross Dress For Less).
100% cashmere scarf from Macy's (it was a gift).
Leather gloves by Thinsulate (full price).
Belt from Wal Mart.
Shoes by Timberland (full price).
Socks by Lacoste (full price).
100% silk bow tie from Macy's, $16 (originally $60).
The watch is by Berenger Steel, I found it on sale on their Facebook page w/free shipping.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Xander,
    I really really dig patterned/printed pants, and you did such a great job of combining them. Even though you used contrasting colors it's still nicely toned down; when I try to combine similar pieces with anything other than black, I end up looking like a freak xD (too colorful). Well done, Sir.
    This outfit looks really sophisticated though! Like, sophisticated with a wink.

    By the way, your family lives in a really nice house :)!
    Greetings,
    freezy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment, Freezy. As you can see, I picked up the dark outline of the dogs on the pants and balanced that with dark on top. I used the tie as a color pop to contrast with the orange pants. When you're shopping and see something that you have to have, but aren't sure what to pair it with, don't be afraid to get it, anyway. Those pants were totally foreign to me but I just went with my gut. In addition to using complimentary colors, varying shades of one or two colors can look great, or picking up the color of one of the fine lines that may run through a blazer--without reverting to the black stand-by pieces. Black is classic, however. I will experiment with something black in the coming weeks to show that it doesn't have to be boring. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have a bow tie, and that it is a self-tie bow tie (i.e. a REAL bow tie), and that you know how to tie it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Petunia. It took me the major part of a day learning how to tie it. It was really frustrating, but I'm so glad I stuck with it, because now it is a skill I will have for the rest of my life. Knowing how to tie other kinds of ties helps. The trinity knot is my favorite.

      Delete